Organised by the Istanbul Foundation for Culture and Arts (İKSV) with the support of the Republic of Turkey Ministry of Culture and Tourism, the 49th Istanbul Music Festival started with the Opening Ceremony and Concert held at Harbiye Cemil Topuzlu Open-Air Theatre on Wednesday evening 18 August. The festival organised with the theme Another World Is Possible will host 20 concerts in 14 different venues until 16 September. As part of the festival, free weekend concerts, pre-concert events and workshops for children will also be held.
>> The entire festival programme and the tickets are available at muzik.iksv.org/en/programme
The Opening Ceremony of the 49th Istanbul Music Festival presented by Toprak Sergen began with the opening speech delivered by Bülent Eczacıbaşı, the Chairman of İKSV.
In his speech, the Chairman of İKSV Bülent Eczacıbaşı said, “After a long break, we are very happy to be with you once again at the opening of the 49th Istanbul Music Festival. Declaring that 'Another World is Possible', this year our festival is meeting its audiences with longing as much as with hope and excitement. Through its theme, the festival is inviting us to ponder how we can benefit from the power of music to live in harmony with nature, with each other and with our planet. Focusing on the human-nature relationship through the works and side events featured in its programme, the Istanbul Music Festival is aiming to contribute to the arts life of our city with the concerts it will host. I sincerely believe that we will heal the wounds of our world together through culture, art and music, and we will shape the future with the brightness and excitement of creativity. I wish you all a hearty festival where your hope will be strengthened.”
At the ceremony, gratitude plaques were presented to Deputy Minister Özgül Özkan Yavuz on behalf of Republic of Turkey Ministry of Culture and Tourism for their support to the Istanbul Music Festival and to representatives of Kadıköy Municipality, Beşiktaş Municipality and Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality Kültür A.Ş. that provided venue support for the festival. On behalf of the Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality, a plaque of appreciation was presented to Ekrem İmamoğlu, the Mayor of Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality.
Performance sponsors Borusan Holding, Mercedes-Benz, Türkiye İş Bankası, Tekfen Foundation that have contributed immensely to the realisation of the 49th Istanbul Music Festival and the Festival’s Opening Concert Orchestra in 2019-2022 Tekfen Philharmonic Orchestra were also presented with gratitude plaques.
Moreover, Eczacıbaşı Group, Zurich Insurance and The Marmara Group that have extended yearlong contribution to the Istanbul Foundation for Culture and Arts received gratitude plaques at the Opening Ceremony of the 49th Istanbul Music Festival.
Festival’s Honorary Award presented to Prof. Cihat Aşkın
This year, Istanbul Music Festival’s Honorary Award was presented to Cihat Aşkın, the international representative of Turkish Violin School. Aşkın received his award from the Chairman of İKSV, Bülent Eczacıbaşı.
Aydın Gün Encouragement Award conferred to the young violinist Alican Süner
Awarded since 2012 by the Istanbul Foundation for Culture and Arts (İKSV) to promising young musicians of classical music with the aim of supporting arts and culture production and contributing to the development of the musicians of the future, the Aydın Gün Encouragement Award, accompanied with a monetary prize of 20 thousand TL, was conferred to violinist Elvin Hoxha Ganiyev in 2019. Winner of the Aydın Gün Encouragement Award 2020, violinist Alican Süner will be presented his award in the upcoming days.
Festival was opened by Tekfen Philharmonic Orchestra and Anna Vinnitskaya
Following the ceremony, the 49th Istanbul Music Festival kicked off with a concert by one of the prominent pianists of our day Anna Vinnitskaya who narrates stories with her music and the Tekfen Philharmonic Orchestra, the Festival’s Opening Concert Orchestra in 2019-2022. The concert featured Dmitri Shostakovich’s Piano Concerto no.1 in C minor, op.35 and Suite for Jazz Orchestra no.2 and Sergey Prokofiev’s Piano Concerto no.1 in D flat Major, op.10.
LIST OF GRATITUDE PLAQUES PRESENTED AT THE 49th ISTANBUL MUSIC FESTIVAL OPENING CEREMONY
Institutions Contributing to the 49th Istanbul Music Festival
- Deputy Minister Özgül Özkan Yavuz on behalf of Republic of Turkey Ministry of Culture and Tourism
- Mayor of Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality Ekrem İmamoğlu on behalf of Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality
- Vice President of Kadıköy Municipality Mustafa Oltulu on behalf of Kadıköy Municipality
- General Manager of Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality Kültür A.Ş. Murat Abbas on behalf of Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality Kültür A.Ş.
Performance Sponsors with the Highest Contribution to the 49th Istanbul Music Festival
- Borusan Sanat General Director Ahmet Etem Erenli on behalf of Borusan Holding
- Tekfen Holding Chief Financial Officer and Tekfen Foundation Board Member Reha Yolalan on behalf of Tekfen Foundation
- Mercedes-Benz Corporate Communications Manager Miray Kutlu on behalf of Mercedes-Benz
- Türkiye İş Bankası İş Sanat Art Director Defne Turaç on behalf of Türkiye İş Bankası
Festival’s Opening Concert Orchestra in 2019-2022
- Tekfen Foundation Board Member Dori Kiss Kalafat on behalf of Tekfen Philharmonic Orchestra
Institutions Contributing to the Istanbul Foundation for Culture and Arts
- Eczacıbaşı Group Corporate Communications Director İlkay Akalın on behalf of Eczacıbaşı Group
- Zurich Insurance Chief Executive Officer Yılmaz Yıldız on behalf of Zurich Insurance
- The Marmara Turkey Hotels Chief Operating Officer Ata Eremsoy on behalf of The Marmara Group